Sunday, April 15, 2018

Make it Monday: Stitched Stems

Playing along with Michelle Leone's  Make it Monday at Papertrey Ink! She had the sweetest technique called "Stitched Stems" in which you use a paper piercer and thread to stitch stems to combine with stamped flower images, sooo cute!


I used "Butterfly Blooms" with flowers and a sentiment from "Bloom and Grow," and the
"flight dots" from "Baby Button Bits." There is more to this story...I made the butterfly at Michelle Leone's house!!!  She lives about 10 minutes from me, and she hosted a little get together for Karen Walker and me! We had the best time chatting (and snacking, and tea-ing), and managed a bit of stamping.


Michelle shared some of the embossing thread she used in her video, and it got me thinking that I wanted to see the butterfly from last month's new set "Butterfly Blooms." She showed Karen and I her gorgeous sample card from the release last month, and then we got talking about Nuvo Drops (we were easily distracted)! Michelle die cut us some butterflies, and I twisted Karen's arm to play along with the Nuvo Drops to color the dots.


When I got home, my plan was to use a Sakura Clear Glaze pen on the black butterfly outline (Michelle had heat embossed hers with black powder and it was amazing!), but alas, I had thrown it away because it dried up!  So I used a Sakura Stardust Glitter pen instead :). I wanted black and white paper and this newsprint paper's headlines summed up our afternoon perfectly :).

This get together was so much fun, but may turn costly! I left with a shopping list on a post-it...Butterfly Blooms, a Bit More Butterfly Blooms, more Corner Adorner stamps and Shape Shifter dies, Nuvo Drops in lots of colors, a stamp shammy for cleaning, new watercolors by Gansai, and an Instant Pot for cooking!

Thanks so much to Michelle and Karen for making my dreary Rochester, New York, Saturday afternoon (while we awaited an ice storm in April!)...bloom!

5 comments:

Michelle said...


Beautiful...... such great color, detail, stitching/dimension! Love every perfect element!
Kelly, I SO enjoyed having you over to 'play'...... looking forward to making this a more regular occurrence (and, goodness knows, we could yak/stamp for hours w/o running out of chatter/crafty ideas!)!

Sharyn Polesel said...

Such a fun card with so many elements to look at. Love your sweet flowers and stitched stems....very pretty card!

S. Molinari said...

Cool card! Sounds like you had a great time crafting with friends ;)

Karen said...

Cute, cute card! So much fun to see what you did with the butterfly! What a great idea to combine it with the stitched stem challenge. I had such a good time yesterday. Just posted my MIM post, and the card I made with the butterfly should be up tomorrow or Tuesday.

Kathryn A said...

I love the Nuvo drops on the butterfly! Your background is very unique, too. Great stitching card!